Who Am I??

My photo
"I'm a new soul,I came into this strange world, Hoping I could learn a bit 'bout how to give and take... But since I came here,felt the joy and the fear, Finding myself making every possible mistake..."

Friday, November 19, 2010

Ten Years-Now And Then!

Priyam and I          
So this is my first actual "meaningful gibberish"...and going by the logic...a week before exams is not supposed to be the best time to be doing this..but then again...its the time when you need to give a vent to the exhaustion,nervousness and frustration that exams bring along with them...Moreover,it's my best friend's birthday today..actually two of my favorite people share their birthday...so a nostalgia-stricken me just wants to write...It has been ten years since I've known Priyam(Manisha Priyam to the World)now...Ten years ago...when we were teens...when internet meant Google,Yahoo, Hotmail or Gmail...when Orkut was in its infancy and when Facebook was perhaps still in the womb(at least in this part of the world)...When people used to talk and not Tweet...When telephone was not replaced by Skype!...Ten years ago and it feels like it was only yesterday!


And today as I look back,I realize that we have grown so much...in more ways than one...and so has our friendship...it started with a "Happy Birthday!!" unlike the usual "hello!"(as opposed to the 'friend requests' these days...I dunno why but I'm compelled to make comparisons without it being my motive even remotely)...and as it happens with most relationships,we never could look back and say"That's when we became such good friends!"...Was it during the classes when we used to solve sums of maths?or was it during the lunch breaks when we would loiter around in the campus?Or the numerous get-together we used to have at her place?I just don't know...and don't want to either.


She moved to Delhi for her graduation and I came here...to Manipal...At first,it felt that distance hadn't changed anything...Talking endlessly...about our problems..new experiences..our failed attempts at being brave in a new city etc. etc. ...but with time we made new friends,started liking the new place,and the newness which were once scared of,suddenly was our newfound love...And then it hit us...We were not able to talk as frequently as we would have wanted...and that was a major change considering it was our only source of keeping in touch...There was a time when I even felt that we were drifting apart(even as individuals)...

However,..Today...a few yrs and a few gray hair later...when I look back, I feel that it was just a part of growing up..As we have become more engrossed in focusing on our careers and shaping our future,the infrequent calls are now a pleasant surprise,which I realize I had been looking forward to subconsciously!..I see it as a balmy retreat from the monotony of the hectic work schedules...There are just times when we joke about nothing and still laugh like wackos(If Priyam reads it she would know that the "nothing" was actually quite something)...We have evolved to understand that friendship,like every relationship,goes through phases...and the key is in moving along with the change!

Today,on her birthday..I miss her so much...want to be with her...relive our childhood,grow up through adolescence.. do everything all over again!

 I wrote a few lines for her birthday...and even though I kinda know that I suck at poetry,I posted it anyway...One might just not be able to relate to it but to whom it  should matter(and to those who went to St.Xavier's,B.S.City),it will not fail to make sense ...



When I look back at those days of yore, 
Full of fun,merriment and more..
The latest fashion,The gossip sessions,
The hunks,the crushes the eye candies..
Getting dressed up for class parties,
Followed by the after-party discussions..
We've been there for each other all this while,
Through happiness,sadness and trying times..
Cheers to those ten years of togetherness,Cheers to us!! 



Happy Birthday Priyam ..Lots of Love<3 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish her birthday from my side too... very beautifully written...

Smriti Shalini said...

Thank you...will do!

choi!! said...

like buttons pls.. :D
super likes :)

Smriti Shalini said...

hehe...thanks!!

Anonymous said...

manisha is d best;hopefully she ll remain d same person.those gray hairs r reaching her brain.

Anonymous said...

i know its tooo late a comment but wow is d word...very well written miss n u dnt suck at poetry....makes perfect sense to most of us : )