Who Am I??

My photo
"I'm a new soul,I came into this strange world, Hoping I could learn a bit 'bout how to give and take... But since I came here,felt the joy and the fear, Finding myself making every possible mistake..."

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Quadrantids Meteor Shower 2013

Quadrantids Meteor Shower is the first meteor shower of the year occuring around Jan 1-6, it's peak being on Jan 2nd and 3rd.So,tonight (Jan. 2-3) is the peak of the 2013 Quadrantid meteor shower.The  meteor rates increase after midnight and peak between 3 a.m. and dawn, your local time.  The maximum rate will be about 120/hour

To view Quadrantids you will need cloudless, dark skies away from city lights to see the shower. However, light from the waning gibbous moon will wash out fainter meteors, so one can't expect to see that many. 

The peak rate of the Quadrantids has varied between 60-200, so its peak is not as consistent as the other shower.Also the peak lasts for only a few hours so it's either January 3rd or nothing! 

Here's a picture I found on spacedex.com that would help you locate the Radiant(The point in which meteors arise from)

The Quadrantids Meteor Shower-Where Do I look!















If you're in the Northern Hemisphere you need to look towards the North-East towards the Big Dipper

The meteor shower is expected to "last only a few hours," according to NASA.com. That means you should look for it in the the night of Jan. 2-3, not the night of Jan. 3-4. The best time to view the meteors will be between then and sunrise.

If there is cloud cover or you can't get away from the blinding city lights (like me=/),you can click on the link to watch the Online streaming of the Quadrantid meteor shower on Jan. 2-4 on NASA.com.

Hope you guys can view some shooting stars and wish upon them unlike me.Do share your pictures or videos.As for me I'm gonna go and try my luck once more before I give up!


No comments: